• Home
  • Connemara Grounds Tour
  • Downloads
  • Privacy Policy
  • Return to Portal
  • #11 Milk House

    The Sandburg's built the milk house in 1948 to process and bottle milk for sale on the farm.  Pipes run from the milking parlor inside the barn into the milk house to be strained and separated before bottling.  Quart-size cardboard bottles were affixed with "Connemara Farms" caps and sold to local dairies and individuals.  

    After mandatory pasteurization laws were passed in the early 1950's, Mrs. Sandburg no longer sold milk directly, but collected the milk in large containers to be sold to larger dairies for pasteurization and distribution.