This residence was constructed around 1915 to serve as the home for Smyth's farm caretaker and his family. The Sandburg's continued this use when they hired Frank Mintz in 1946 to tend Connemara Farms. He helped by feeding, milking and breeding the goats, plowing the fields and making repairs to buildings.
In the 1960's Leroy Levi moved in with his family to serve as farm manager. Today the house is used as a residence for temporaray employees and in the spring for the Carl Sandburg Writer-in-Residence.